Make your own free website on

After the battle, a mass meeting was held at the courthouse at which Boone Logan and others made speeches. A citizens protective association was formed. They adopted resolutions declaring "If any one is arrested for this day's work we will reassemble and punish to the death any man who offers the molestation."

The bodies of Craig, Jay and Bud Tolliver were taken charge of by the posse. They were washed, dressed and laid out in the public room of the American House. Coffins for the 4 bodies were ordered from Lexington. The Tollives' were taken to Eliott County for burial.

Craig Tolliver left a wife and 2 small children. He was a good husband and indulgent father. Marion Tolliver, a brother of Craigs' was a peaceable and well behaved citizen. He took no part in the feud. They were sons of a well to do farmer of Morgan County. However, when Craig was a boy of 14 his father had a lawsuit with a neighbor in which Tolliver was successful, there was a general bad feeling against him and after the trial was over, the unsuccessful litigant and a few of his friends went to Tollivers' house in the night and shot him to death while he was in bed. Craig was present and saw his father murdered. This happened about 20 years before he lost his life. After his father's death, the family moved to Elliott County where Craig grew to manhood. He carried weapons, practiced shooting, drank liquor and was a tough character as a boy and he grew worse as he grew older.

He went to Rowan County about 5 years before his death. He was 6' tall, 36 years old, had light blue eyes, brown hair and he wore a large mustach and goatee. He was true to his friends and vruel to his enemies. Perhaps no gamer man ever lived in the mountains or elsewhere. He was poorly educated, shrewd and cunning and mild mannered except when in action. He was a typical desperado.

While the newspapers in all parts of the country had much to say about Craig Tolliver, about the time of his death, no mention was ever made of any man who lost his life from his hand. It seems that he directed others to commit deeds of violence but seldom took part in them. Tolliver made his living without any visible occupation or means of support, but he always had plenty of money. Shortly before his death he engaged in the whiskey business and at the time of his death he owned 2 saloons in Morehead and he was also engaged in the hotel business.

This account was copied from "Famous Kentucky Tragedies and Trials" by Lewis Franklin Johnson.